Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tackling the Untackable...

Sometimes we have things that come into our lives that we think are not savable.  Whether it be a relationship or in this case, a stove.

Yup, a stove.  After living without a working oven for 5 months (due to a landlord who didn't want to spend a dime), I finally received a stove about a month ago.  While old, all the elements worked, and just as importantly, the oven worked.  Yay!  However, the stove was gross.  Number 1:  it stunk.  Imagine going into an old man's house who never cleans, smokes, and is filled with moldy things.  That's what this smelled like.  I could work with the smell.  I figured I didn't have a choice, and it really was precious just to have a working stove.

The second was that while it was clean inside, all of the elements and its rings looked like it had been through a fire.  They were scorch black.  The real color?  Chrome.  To even lift them up, I had to pry them with a butter knife.  I wish now I'd taken before pictures, but with hours of soaking, baking soda, and the magic of steel wool, they came out looking brand new.

The lesson is this:  before giving up something, always try to refurbish it before giving up hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment