Sunday, September 11, 2011

Aspiring to Greatness...and it Doesn't Work....

So I don't know if any of you have come across or heard about pinterest, but I am hooked.  It's like a visual favorites bar.  Any picture that you see on the web, you "pin" it and it's linked to your boards on pinterest.  As a teacher, I find it's amazing.  When you click on your picture, you are instantly taken to its url site.  I am able to get so many ideas that are fresh, cute, and creative.

I loved this one that I found.  I thought it would look amazing outside my room.  The only problem was whoever pinned it had gotten it from google.ca, so I had no idea of the actual url to get tips.  I should have gotten tips.



I made my letters initially which was the, "Welcome to Miss Phillips and Mrs. McKee's Classroom" (Mrs. McKee is my E.A.).  Yeah, when I got those letters on, there was almost no room for the kids names!  It took 4 of us to raise the background made of construction paper up so I could add another panel.  We struggled with a bit of bubbling after moving it, but we decided it still looked okay.  I decided to make the kids names half the size and we managed to fit everyone-just.  What I didn't like was that there was an empty space on the left side, but I didn't have time to make anything for it.  As well, because it ended up being so huge, I also couldn't get a very good picture of it.  


Here's a close-up of the kids names-they did like seeing all their names outside the classroom.  Would I do this again?  Yeah, probably not next year as I have a grade four classroom right across from me (they've seen it already), but I definitely would make the squares a lot smaller.  Initially, my squares were probably a 4 1/2 inch square.  When I reduced them, they were probably about 2 inches.  I wouldn't go over 2 inches. I would also play around with the crossword more to try to distribute it better.

But still, it was a lot of fun...I'd do it again!


1 comment: