Sunday, October 30, 2011

Breakfast Program on 15 Cents a Day, Per Kid!

So I've just taken over the breakfast program for my grade.  Our school received the funding not to long ago.  We are approved for 15 cents a day per child, which works out to $3 for 20 students (about).  $3!  I couldn't believe it!  I had a hard time pondering how anyone could see that 15 cents per child per day was enough.  Because we started later and we will probably end it in May, my principal gave me permission for $4 a day (for each class).  It is still quite the challenge!

I started by scouring the flyers-both here in Rossburn and Brandon.  I needed to go to the city and as my time was limited, chose the grocery store that had the best deals for breakfast ideas.  My choice was Sobey's.  I needed to buy two weeks of food for 40 kids.  In my head, I knew that everything that I needed to buy had to be on sale for me to make my goal.  The total I had to work with was $80.

What I bought:

  • 8 loaves of whole wheat bread at .99 cents each
  • 10-4 pack pudding at $1.25 each
  • 6-5 pound boxes of mandarin oranges at $2.99 each
  • 1 box of plastic knives at .99 cents each
  • 2 boxes of plastic spoons at .99 cents each
  • 1-6 pack of paper towel for $6.49
  • 4 muffin mixes for $3.50 each
  • 2 pineapples for $3.49 each
  • 2 large jars of Kraft peanut butter at $2.99 each
  • 1 tub of margarine at $2.99
Grand Total:  $80.01 and I'm positive I'll have extra food left over!

Aside from the food, I also went in menu planning, I planned each day as I  shopped and stopped many times to keep totaling up the food to make sure I was within my budget.

So my menu plan is as such (both classes get the same kind of food):

Week 1
Monday-Christmas oranges
Tuesday-toast and pineapple
Wednesday-muffins
Thursday-Christmas oranges
Friday-leftovers (choice of Christmas oranges, muffin, or toast)

Week 2
Monday-Christmas oranges
Tuesday-muffins
Wednesday-pudding
Thursday-Christmas oranges
Friday-leftovers (choice of Christmas oranges, pudding, muffin, or toast)

When I told the girls in the checkout line what the food was for (as I had the school's food and then my own food on two separate transactions), they gave a lot of encouragement and one amazing tip which I need to follow up.  Apparently, Sobie's is a supporter of breakfast programs and once the approval has been given for the particular club, you are automatically given 10% off (usually only given on Tuesdays).  I need to phone and speak to the manager, but as I'm not able to get in for the Tuesday special, even 10% off would be awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment