Thursday, October 28, 2010

Homemade Kahlua

So this is a recipe I found a couple years back in one of Jean Pare's cookbooks...  My family are huge fans of Kahlua, and while I tend to use it only for cooking, they love it in milk.  According to my family, this recipe tastes like the real thing.  My grandmother has recycled an actual Kahlua bottle (one she brought back from Mexico) and pours my Kahlua into it.  Her friends have never noticed the difference.

So you need:

  • 4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup instant coffee
  • 2 1/4 cups boiling water
  • 2 cups brandy
  • 2 vanilla beans (using one package of vanilla beans contains 2 beans), split in half
Stir the sugar, coffee granules and boiling water in a large bowl. Stir until sugar is dissolved.  Cool completely ( I put mine in the fridge to speed things along).

Add brandy and vanilla beans.  Stir.  Cover.  Let stand at room temperature for about 20 days.  Strain into jar with tight fitting lid. 

Makes 6 1/4 cups.

In a glance, all the ingredients you need!

Vanilla beans split in half.  I swear this adds to the flavor.  Simply place on cutting board, and cut lengthwise.

This is the sugar and coffee together.  Notice that my bowl has a pouring spot??  Makes it so much easier to pour without spilling.  Here I'm just about ready to start pouring the boiling water in.

After you've added the water, this is what the mixture will look like.  It will seem very thick at first until the sugar has been dissolved.  Even after cooling, you may want to give it another good stir!

This is everything combined.  I like this container as many containers aren't big enough to hold the amount of liquid.  This container is from dollarama. 


Hints: 
  • use a container that you won't care if it permanently smells like Kahlua. 
  • Make sure the container is large enough as well.
  • Store in a dark place, away from sunlight
Now in 20 days I'll come back and show you more pictures of what to do after it's ready.  I'll also give you a great, inexpensive but super fancy way to present your Kahlua.

No comments:

Post a Comment